CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Basics of "starting system?"

on 2003-01-22 08:44:18 UTC
Hi,

I am not sure if I totally understand your CNC product. are you
looking to take something like 1/4" thick foam sheets and cut out all
the parts ? or to take a single chunk and cut out all the innards ?

Regardless, the 'BEST' CAD you can find it the one that does what you
need, is easy to use and is in your price range.

Since from what you describe, most all 3-D cad programs will work, so
look for ease of use or cost. there are quite a few free programs so
your search should be easy.

I imagine your first endevor will be to design your foam cutting
machine. that will get you well introduced to the program.

Once you have your files, you need to port them into G-code. easy to
do. when you get to that point, a quick search of the list will
offer the most current product. ACE converter is the one I think
many use. also free. Once you start cutting, you will find tweaking
is done with expericance. you need to do it to know the questions.

As far as your controller software, you have a bit to go before you
get there. Again, check out what is available at that time.
TurboCNC is only $20.00 and will allow you to do a lot.
Master5/MAch1 is a great deal at $150.00 ?? and there are some others.

I am not sure of your budget, but there are programs that do one
part. ie: the CAD part, the conversion or the control. there are
others that will do 2 of 3 and others that do all 3.

The more they do the higher the cost.

The best place to start is to search this list for software and read
the posts. they go into detail with the good and bad points. There
is a database with the typical products so that could also be a guide.

Happy hunting !

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Mach2dude@a... wrote:
> I thought that I'd ask a general CNC "starting out" question. My
questions
> are imbedded in the objectives. Thanks in advance to any/all that
reply.

> Objective: Be able to produce a CNC generated object. (Eg. small
model boat
> hull, 60" in length). I'd like to be able to "build the object" on
CAD
> software (what type is best?) from a hard copy of 3 view plans.
Then I wish

Mach2dude@a... 2003-01-22 07:19:26 UTC Basics of "starting system?" turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-22 08:44:18 UTC Re: Basics of "starting system?" CL 2003-01-22 12:29:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basics of "starting system?" jim davies 2003-01-22 16:09:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basics of "starting system?" Doug Fortune 2003-01-22 19:45:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basics of "starting system?"