CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basics of "starting system?"

Posted by CL
on 2003-01-22 12:29:49 UTC
Mach2dude@... wrote:

>(snip) I've seen similar CNC foam cutters for aircraft
>wings...but I don't see how they would work for a boat hull with strakes and
>ridges. What is the best type of computer platform to accomplish all of
>this? Should I use Solidworks? DesignCAD?

I think this is is best addressed on an inexpsive level until you get
familiar with all that is involved, and identify even if you would need
to get to more sophisticated levels of Software.

The Free ProDesktop, as I think was mentioned, would be a great place to
start designing the hull. Then Purchase MillWizzard, STLWork or
Equivilent STL to G-code program to create toolpaths. These converters
are hovering around the $200 mark which is quite incredible for what
they can do. I see nothing tricky about the boat hull using the above
except drawing it ( because I still have not decided on what I am going
to use for a 3d modeling proggy, nor am I very good at the free stuff).
I have cut a few hulls and fuselages from foam for a friend who uses
Cadkey and Millwizzard on a typical 3 axis flatbed router. Very nice
results for little outlay. Not sure that you could accomplish quite as
much detail via foam cutting by Hotwire........

Chris L

Discussion Thread

Mach2dude@a... 2003-01-22 07:19:26 UTC Basics of "starting system?" turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-22 08:44:18 UTC Re: Basics of "starting system?" CL 2003-01-22 12:29:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basics of "starting system?" jim davies 2003-01-22 16:09:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basics of "starting system?" Doug Fortune 2003-01-22 19:45:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Basics of "starting system?"