CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Class 2 power supply

Posted by D.F.S.
on 2000-02-18 12:51:45 UTC

> From: "Bob Campbell" <bob@...>
>
> I just received some four wire DC proximity switches from Automation Direct.
> On the package they say that a class 2 power supply is required (10-30 Vdc).
>
> Does anyone know what the mean by class 2.

My understanding, limited I admit, is it is simply part of electrical
standards and related requirements.

Unless I mistaken is it simply electrical eqpt or supplied with voltage, and
maybe current output or requirements below a given voltage.

I think it is part of a certification as well, like underwriters Labs.

I was thinking it was 24V, but from what your stuff says, it must be
a little higher.

In many areas, by code You could wire class 2 stuff yourself, and not
need an inspection or permit.
If it was higher voltage, you could not.

It is probably to prevent crap like electrical inspectors that would
require you to run waterproof conduit to house the wires that run
the solenoids of your sprinklers, and have it permitted and done by a
licensed electricial contractor.

The logic is probably "How much damage can a guy do with 30 volts and
a limited current supply?, even if he screws it up?"

The wording of the requirements are probably more to state this is not
approved electrical eqpt, for something like in parallel with a gate
motor running off 110V AC.

Marc

Discussion Thread

Bob Campbell 2000-02-18 14:20:44 UTC Class 2 power supply D.F.S. 2000-02-18 12:51:45 UTC Re: Class 2 power supply Bob Campbell 2000-02-18 15:27:00 UTC Re: Class 2 power supply Multi-Volti Devices 2000-02-19 01:07:53 UTC Class 2 power supply