CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:Re: Re: stepper motor in servo loop question

Elliot Burke wrote:

>Jon, how is a stepper/encoder system implemented with the universal stepper
>controller? I see the encoder inputs and stepper outputs, but how exactly
>is the loop closed? Is there another layer of software required to do this,
>or can the board just be run with software on a PC that already exists?

In software, EMC is the only thing supported right now. The details are
published on the web page,
if you wanted to roll your own. The step pulses are produced at a rate
specified, and continue
producing pulses at that rate until commanded to change. Counters can
count either encoder pulses or
the step pulses as they go out, to make it do either open or closed loop
at the flip of a switch for
each axis. Beyond that, software reads the position, and decides what
velocity should be set
next.

The software on the PC controls it. It's not exactly another layer.
So, you would not use this
with a step/direction CNC program. With either open or closed loop, it
still acts much like a
servo system, with the computer reading position and sending velocity
commands.

Elliot Burke 2003-01-21 15:45:54 UTC stepper motor in servo loop question ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-01-23 03:30:49 UTC Re: stepper motor in servo loop question Jon Elson 2003-01-23 09:41:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: stepper motor in servo loop question Elliot Burke 2003-01-23 21:19:53 UTC re:Re: Re: stepper motor in servo loop question Jon Elson 2003-01-23 23:49:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] re:Re: Re: stepper motor in servo loop question