CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CNC Surface Grinder

on 2003-01-26 17:49:51 UTC
The CNC grinder is just a regular grinder that has a CNC profiling
device to dress the wheel, and it re-compensates after every dressing
cycle. Most CNC profilers use a motorized diamond or CBN blade like
a mini table saw.
Great for complex profile grinding of gear teeth and such but not
much sense in just retrofitting a grinder with CNC.
You could do it just to make an automatic out of a manual machine but
you would have to do an awful lot of grinding to make it worth the
trouble.
Joe V

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "vrsculptor
<vrsculptor@h...>" <vrsculptor@h...> wrote:
> Questions:
> 1. Does mist work OK with a surfaec grinder? In the olden days we
> used flood cooling.
> 2. Do CNC surface grinders exist or is cnc just used for automatic
> feed?
> 3. Are axis designations the same as a mill? X/Y table, Z head?
> 4. Is there anything built into G-code to compensate for wheel wear?
> 5. What CAM program would you use for horizontal milling / surface
> grinder? VM4 doesn't do it and I don't remember seeing it in
> MasterCam.
>
> Just curious. I was given a Butterfly (no kidding) surface grinder,
> manual feed, mag chuck, single phase, about 8X30. I don't think I
> will automate it but now that anything can be CNC'd with Gecko's
and
> Mach1 you at least have to consider the posibility.
>
> RogerS

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor <vrsculptor@h... 2003-01-26 15:05:02 UTC CNC Surface Grinder onecooltoolfool <joevicar3@i... 2003-01-26 17:49:51 UTC Re: CNC Surface Grinder ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-01-27 08:21:07 UTC Re: CNC Surface Grinder turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-01-27 09:07:06 UTC Re: CNC Surface Grinder