CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wiring schematic for use w/gecko 320

Posted by Chris L
on 2003-01-26 17:55:58 UTC
ironarbor2003 wrote:

>(snip)
>
>Does any one have any hands on exp. w/ pc pased control software like
>mach1, desknc or ect. for use with a plasma table? Any opinions + or -
> about the actual performance and ease of installation.
>
>If youve been there and done that I would like to hear anything you
>might like to offer!

I can give you my hands on first plasma machine under windows PC
software.... Fabulous.
A few years back, I needed to prototype brackets for rear swaybars on
cars. I didn't need state of the art, just a quick method to quickly cut
out shapes as changes were made in the cad drawings, based on how the
cut brackets fit. I also needed to come up with something rather quick.
Torchmate was the "new guy" back then, and I am glad he was persistant
in telling me to ONLY purchase the hypertherm unit. Works without
interfearing with the motion system. He agreed to sell me just the cut
out parts he offered and a machine torch bracket. Although I made a half
dozen changes to his design and spent quite a bit of time cleaning up
the parts, The design sticks close to his original using the Cold Rolled
rail and follower method. It is a 4'x4' machine with the ability to hold
longer stock under the Gantry. It is driven from one side., Rack and
pinion, and some little 80oz motors being half stepped by MicroKinetics
DR3535's with 36 volts provided by a MicroK power supply.

I chose to use Flashcut for the Controller because I knew the importance
of having the smoothest motion I could get, and it had to be a windows
control in order for me to run on a LAN to transfer files quickly.
Jerks, pauses, and unecessary movements make for a lot more cleanup time
as those things relay directly into the part. I sure did not need that.
I could mention a few controls I have used that could put plenty of
those in !

I think one of the unique things that Flashcut can do in Plasma
applications is to allow you to have control at the machine for "pierce
Delays". When you create your toolpath, simply put in the associated
M-codes to turn on the torch and forget using any G04 pause commands.
The control will allow you to set a delay time for the Associated M
command right at the machine. One can even use different "Setup" files
for different materials so you can be real close to what you need from
the getgo. Flashcut also has specific M codes for plasma that turn off
the torch automatically when hitting a feedhold, that also can apply the
delay time when restarting. Additionally, FC offers an additional I/O
line that can be on or off anytime an axis is in motion which is handy
for Laser use.

So motion is excellent, Performance Excellent, up to 400ipm with those
little motors ! Additionally, Accuracy is plenty good for plasma, so I
oubt I would get carried away with much beyond Cold Rolled for the next
one I'd make.

Ease of use ? Were talking Flashcut here ! STILL the most easy to
understand Control as far as I'm concerned. Straight forward dialogs for
machine setup, Super easy to understand Screen, and probably the easiest
to hook up and run. I have not found any mainstream computer that I
could not make it run on because it sends info out of your typical
Serial port. Very easy to use IF you can not have a dedicaed computer
for a control at first.

There is my Experience with a Plasma Table and the method I use to
control it. As of this moment, I Doubt I'd do it any different way next
time !

Chris L

Discussion Thread

ironarbor2003 <Ironarbor@u... 2003-01-26 11:02:40 UTC wiring schematic for use w/gecko 320 Tim Goldstein 2003-01-26 11:28:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wiring schematic for use w/gecko 320 Chris L 2003-01-26 17:55:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] wiring schematic for use w/gecko 320