CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] NEW member Suitable conversions?

Posted by D.F.S.
on 2000-02-21 09:31:29 UTC
> From: "Darrell" <dgehlsen@...>
>
> 15 HP for the converter sounds like over kill. Do you have anything
that is
> 15 HP that you need to run?

Well, the motor for the spindle is rated at 5 hp.

In addition there are the 2 DC servo-motors for the 2 axie?
of 1-2 hp? I guessed.
A motor to engage the collet.

And the 600# controller that also requires 3 phase power.

It is packed full of transformers, brute force power supplies,
relays, a bunch of fans and a ton of late 70's ICs, I'd bet
aren't CMOS ;-).

Secondly, the motor cost me $4.00/Hp.
It was new, but damaged, the fan shroud has a crack in it, and one
of the 4 mounting bolt holes on the base of broken off.

These were not real big issues, considereing my intended use.

I didn't have much of a selection anyway.
I did get a 5 hp motor as well.
It was real cheap, "cause it was seized", maybe the magnetic
brake had something to do with that? ;-).

In addition, IF i was too big, I figured the extra inertia could
be handy. That IF, was just that, it may no be oversized at all
considering the potential load.

Third, as people here have probably seen, 3 phase tools go for
a BIG discount at auctions. At least for the stuff finding it's
second life as highend home eqpt.

I like to have the capacity to add some other eqpt if I see
something at a good price.

Marc

Discussion Thread

D.F.S. 2000-02-21 09:31:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] NEW member Suitable conversions? D.F.S. 2000-02-21 09:41:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] NEW member Suitable conversions?