CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question to Mariss about demagnetion was Re : Torque when usin

on 2003-02-04 03:31:36 UTC
Hi Tony,
Please explain in details how did you changed from 6-wires to 4-wires
configuration.
Isn't this like simply using four wires instead six, externally?
Peja

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Jeffree [mailto:tony@...]
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 12:27 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question to Mariss about demagnetion was
Re: Torque when usin

I think that there are a lot of "old wives tales" surrounding the supposed
dangers of removing stepper motor end caps. I have done this with several
different motors, with no detectable change in their performance. I think
it unlikely that the rotor/stator would come to harm during this procedure
unless you handled it very roughly.

Obviously, it is a smart move to take sensible precautions (don't work next
to your mill while flycutting a piece of cast iron, for example), but
nothing more than you would take when dismantling/assembling any other
precision device, and bearing in mind that magnets will naturally attract
any stray ferromagnetic particles.

Most recently, I removed the end cap from a 200 oz-in size 23 motor to
change it from 6-wire to 4-wire configuration; perfectly possible to do
with care, and the patient definitely survived. Whether it was a worthwhile
thing to do is a completely separate question of course - the jury is still
out on that!

Regards,
Tony

Discussion Thread

Miroslav Pejic 2003-02-04 03:31:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question to Mariss about demagnetion was Re : Torque when usin Tony Jeffree 2003-02-04 03:48:20 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question to Mariss about demagnetion was Re : Torque when usin