CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Weird Temperature problem

Posted by James Cullins
on 2003-02-07 06:04:31 UTC
It sounds like you have a defective transformer. It may be that it has short
in a winding until heats up and as it expands with heat the short goes
away.
Jim
----- Original Message -----
From: <kim@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 12:50 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Weird Temperature problem

Hi,
I built a CNC controller with a torroidal transformer at the power
supply end. Everything works fine (almost). The Problem I have is when
the garage is cold (I have the setup in my garage) around 57F or less
I keep blowing the AC fuse to the transformer. I normally run fine
with a 3A fuse but when cold it blows a 6A fuse as soon as the power
switch is flipped.

To debug I disconnected the transformer from the diode caps etc.. so
it was just open and still I kept blowing the fuse. Now I heat up the
transformer with a hair dryer and after it is warm I turn it ON and it
does not even blow up a 1A fuse. So on warmer days (>65F) when I was
using the power supply it was working fine.

My question is has anyone seen this kind of problem and do you have
any recommendations for a solution.

Thanks
Kim

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
bill
List Mom
List Owner