CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] serial vs. parallel revisisted

turbulatordude wrote:

>That leaves me to the question of why is a half coil and parallel
>powered exactly the same ? seems with 2 coils in play, the current
>could be increased.

Generally, 6 wire motors, and many uses of 8-wire motors, were for
4-transistor, RL
drives. Cheap, inefficient, but they work for many applications. The
motors were thus
rated to develop full rated torque in this configuration. Taking an
8-wire motor, and
running the two coils in parallel (have to make sure you have the 2
coils from one
phase, and wire them in a cumulative polarity) lowers the effective
resistance, but you
SHOULD NOT run full current in BOTH windings, as that exceeds the magnetic
field the motor was designed for. It may work, but it may also harm the
motor's
magnets.

>In my testing to try to figure out what I can do to/with these
>motors, I am wondering if a half coil, full amp connection would make
>them move, where the series at half current does not.

My best guess if you see it work with half-winding, but not series, is
that you have an 8-wire
motor, and you have wired one (or both) of the phases with the windings
OPPOSING
each other. Connect a single D cell across just one of these series
winding pairs.
The motor should clunk, and then the shaft should resist turning. If
not, reverse one
of the windings and try again. If STILL no, try combining one of those
windings
with one of what you believe is one of the other phases windings. If
you hook an
A phase and a B phase winding in series the motor will not do much. If
you hook
both phases windings in series, but with their polarities opposing, the
motor will
essentially do nothing, as the magnetic fields will cancel out.

I hope one of these suggestions solves the problem.

turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-02-10 10:57:48 UTC serial vs. parallel revisisted Jon Elson 2003-02-11 14:08:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] serial vs. parallel revisisted