CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport Servo brand drives

turbulatordude wrote:

The SERVO software is standard G-code as far as the interface goes.

>DOS based and I assume it is pretty old.
>
>the controller has 4 slots and can accept 4 cards. I think the PC
>downloads the program to the controller as there is a keypad on the X
>axis servo. it is really a pendant with cord, but resides on a
>holder/cradle on the motor.
>
>once the program is started, all the commands, are run from either
>the keyboard or the pendant.
>
>the PC to controller is a simple serial cable.

Well, I don't know much about this particular system, so my comments
must be taken
with a grain of salt. But, here are a few things to think about:

1. Just because the box has a 4th slot, doesn't mean that the firmware
in the unit will
support a 4th axis. Also, where would you GET the 4th axis card on such
an obsolete
system?

2. What is the accuracy, performance and reliability of this system?
If the controller
breaks, can you repair it yourself? I had an old Allen-Bradley 7320
control, VERY
high end for its time. It broke down 3 times in the 6 months I used it,
and even though
I had absolutely the best documentation you could imagine (schematics,
block diagrams,
an internals/sevice training manual, etc.) it still took me 1 - 3 days
to fix the problems.
Not what I want to go through every other time I try to machine something!

3. Do you even HAVE the PC program to download tool programs to it? If
it uses
a general-purpose comm program, and uses ctrl/s - ctrl/q characters or
the clear-to-send
signal for flow control, then it might work pretty well with most of
them. But, if
it uses some non-standard scheme for flow control, or needs to be able
to back up in
the file to emulate a paper tape, you may have a problem.

turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-02-11 19:13:46 UTC Bridgeport Servo brand drives Jon Elson 2003-02-11 19:34:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bridgeport Servo brand drives turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-02-11 21:49:55 UTC Re: Bridgeport Servo brand drives Jon Elson 2003-02-12 09:35:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bridgeport Servo brand drives