CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Installing IO card for CNC

Posted by Jeff Goldberg
on 2003-02-15 04:19:51 UTC
Generally PCI cards are plug and play and ISA cards are not. (Some real old
PCI cards didn't work well as plug and play either). You should also look at
your system setup and make sure you have plug and play turned on. Since the
system can't tell what interrupts the board needs automatically, you'll have
to reserve the interrupts you have the board set at in the system setup. If
I remember right, (COM 1 and COM 3 use interrupt 4) and (COM 2 and COM 4 use
interrupt 3).

If you have some weird board that needs a driver, use it as a Frisbee and
buy a modern one (they are very inexpensive) as its not worth the ongoing
aggravation to keep looking for the latest drivers as you change operating
systems and software.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: andrewyslee <andrewlee@...> [mailto:andrewlee@...]
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 2:15 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Installing IO card for CNC

Hi,

I tried to install an old IO card (serial and parallel ports) onto my
computer for communication with the driver, but seems like IO card
are not plug-and-play as my computer does not detect it? I'm using
Win98. Does IO card need separate driver?

I need the extra serial port as the first serial port is already
taken up by the mouse.

Thanks

Andrew

Discussion Thread

andrewyslee <andrewlee@s... 2003-02-14 23:15:13 UTC Installing IO card for CNC Jeff Goldberg 2003-02-15 04:19:51 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Installing IO card for CNC James Wilsom 2003-02-16 11:42:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Installing IO card for CNC