CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: RE: Why calculate steps/unit? Just try it...

Posted by CL
on 2003-02-16 07:41:22 UTC
Ray Henry wrote:

>Hi Tim.
>
>Suggests that we have really become a kind of mindless point and click
>sort of world. I guess that's okay for a lot of things. Worries me
>though when a p 'n c kinda person is in charge of the fit or retrofit so
>I'm with you on this one.
>
>Ray
>
>> From: "Tim Goldstein"
>>I think that this is just a simple test to determine if the potential
>>user is qualified to use a CNC machine.

Awwww, you guys are missing my point. The only real "test" involved with
the "run the numbers method" is if your calculator is getting good
enough sunlight to get the right answer. Mr. newbie is going to try to
do it no matter what. If you guys were really concerned about the "kinda
person", you'd might conclude that a rather "dangerous time" for the
newbie is during the Setup ! After all this IS exactly when he is
running all the "unknowns", wondering whether his Math is or is not
correct. ( I am not too worried about a "point and click" Sherline here....)

So, In that regard, ANY one of all of those params calculated in error
could literally kill a guy. ( be advised I am NOT a big safety nut). A
*single* wrong perameter "fat fingured" in that "line up" can cause
*greater errors in the SUM,... where entering the 4 perameters necessary
seperately, will allow less error in the world of Odds.

MY point was simply that it shouldn't be Rocket Science to install the
method I mention into a control software. SOME already recognize the
advantages in less tech support, and probably a little less Liability.

I know if I change a Microstep setting on the drivers, I do NO math,
just enter in the microsteps. Now That, is easy, and the way it should
be today. If I changed all three axis, what would take me a few minutes
to calculate for all three, takes seconds. Why fight something soooo
easy. Anyone doing it any different in a "late model software" truly is
behind the curve".

I don't kow about you guys, but I am not going out now to yank the
Remote Starter off my Truck. I kind of started to like the "point and
click" world.

Chris L

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor <vrsculptor@h... 2003-02-15 10:29:47 UTC Why calculate steps/unit? Just try it... Tim Goldstein 2003-02-15 10:48:44 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why calculate steps/unit? Just try it... CL 2003-02-15 18:31:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why calculate steps/unit? Just try it... Tim Goldstein 2003-02-15 18:45:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why calculate steps/unit? Just try it... Ray Henry 2003-02-16 06:28:00 UTC Re: RE: Why calculate steps/unit? Just try it... CL 2003-02-16 06:57:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Why calculate steps/unit? Just try it... CL 2003-02-16 07:41:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: RE: Why calculate steps/unit? Just try it...