CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 24v transformer

on 2003-02-16 21:56:18 UTC
Jan,

Unfortunately the transformer is potted to make it waterproof making
mods to the windings impossible.
I have come across this link to a benchtop power supply; 3 - 30v, 10a
but again not suitable for this transformer.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/circuits.htm

Thanks,
Chris

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, JanRwl@A... wrote:
> Chris:
>
> If the copper is wound on a "bobbin", you could easily remove a few
turns of
> the secondary (the thicker wire. The primary would be THINNER
wire). If,
> however, the windings are "form wound" and covered with paper, this
would be
> very difficult and quite likely dangerous (to you AND the
transformer!),
> particularly if you are not an experienced "transformer man".
>
> An alternative, IF there is some "room" for more copper between the
windings
> and the iron: Wind some turns of copper wire (try five turns to
start?)
> (same wire-ga. as the secondary, if you can SEE the ends of that),
being
> careful not to scratch-off the insulation asyou thread the wire
through, and
> wire that coil in series with the secondary. See if the voltage is
less. If
> HIGHER, swap-ends, and test again. You want to read 20 or 21 VAC,
with a
> load (say try a 20 ohm, 25 W. resistor as a load for testing). You
may find
> you want only THREE turns, or TEN, or whatever number. But note:
You can
> NOT make any sense out of these measured AC voltages unless you LOAD
the
> transformer with a resistor or lamp or whatever, as I suggest.
Preferably,

crbark <cnebarker@e... 2003-02-16 19:01:16 UTC 24v transformer JanRwl@A... 2003-02-16 21:08:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 24v transformer crbark <cnebarker@e... 2003-02-16 21:56:18 UTC Re: 24v transformer