CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Looking for as much info as possible to construct a CNC system

on 2003-02-24 17:57:31 UTC
Hi,

Welcome to the list.

I would recomend you read the Gecko white paper on power supplies at
www.geckodrives.com that will offer most of what you need to know
about power supplies.

search this list for words like power and torque, you'll get hundreds
of hits, but there are threads that talk about how to select the
motors and gearing for any drive. basically determine required
torque and all the calculations needed to select motors.

then of course, read all you can about lead screws and ball screws.
you will want to know what is best, and the differences.

check all the posts in the files section and photos sections and the
links in the links section. don't forget the home page for the list
and Tim's page with more links.

I knida wish one of us would have put together a list of post #s in
the files section for just what you are asking.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "tjsite <schmtj@i...>"
<schmtj@i...> wrote:
> This is my first post to this forum so forgive me if my questions
> have been asked 1000x already.
>
> I recently purchased a 1974 Powermatic Millrite Milling machine to
> use at home in my garage.
>
> I stumbled across the LinuxCNC.org site this afternoon and
> immediately devoted the past 2 hours to searching for more do-it-
> yourself CNC info. The idea of being able to convert my machine to
> CNC is extremely appealing - in the past, all my maching experience
> has been confined to borrowed time on a manual Bridgeport with a
DRO.

> My question is, is there a specific site, or a collection of sites
> that can help me piece together the required hardware (motors,
> controllers, power supplies, etc.) and wiring schematics? Perhaps
> could get some more detailed info on the CNC setup similar to the
one
> on this page - http://users.erols.com/mshaver/bps1.htm
>
> I understand that there is probably no one who has retrofitted a
> Powermatic Millrite for CNC duty, so I'm not looking for a
> specific "kit", just some suggestions on what I'd need.
>
> Anyone not familier with this mill, my best description of it is
that
> it's about 3/4 or 4/5 the size of a standard J-head Bridgeport
> machine.
>
> Any ideas on where to start would be much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> -TJ

Discussion Thread

tjsite <schmtj@i... 2003-02-24 14:54:18 UTC Looking for as much info as possible to construct a CNC system turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-02-24 17:57:31 UTC Re: Looking for as much info as possible to construct a CNC system Matt Shaver 2003-02-25 19:08:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for as much info as possible to construct a CNC system Matt Shaver 2003-02-25 22:19:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for as much info as possible to construct a CNC system Jeff Goldberg 2003-02-26 05:28:13 UTC Stepper resistance reading question Jeff Goldberg 2003-02-26 05:28:15 UTC Is anyone familiar with a Spindle Wizard? Jon Elson 2003-02-26 09:21:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Is anyone familiar with a Spindle Wizard? Raymond Heckert 2003-02-26 21:16:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper resistance reading question