CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Is anyone familiar with a Spindle Wizard?

Posted by Jeff Goldberg
on 2003-02-26 05:28:15 UTC
Thanks Matt.

What I apparently have on my 2J Bridgeport is a Spindle Wizard. Its fitted
out with what I believe (no labels - old story) is a NEMA 42 stepper at 580
oz/in at full rating attached at 1:1 ratio. I'm currently wiring it at half
coil.

Does anyone know what/how/why the Spindle Wizard operates? Matt said that
it may not have the ability to plunge a cutter into the work. The BP has no
manual feed on the Z axis. Should I be concerned? Should I try wiring the
stepper differently for this application? (for those of you who we looking
at my other threads, the specs on this stepper are different from the ones
on the X and Y axis even though physically it appears the same.

Thanks again for all the help

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Shaver [mailto:mshaver@...]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 1:30 AM
To: jeff@...
Cc: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for as much info as possible to
construct a CNC system

What you have there is an old tape controlled Bridgeport. One pneumatic
cylinder is attached to the spindle brake. The brake is spring loaded "on"
and is pulled "off" by the cylinder when the spindle is running or the
manual
switch is activated. The main reason for the spindle brake is to stop the
spindle in an estop situation.

The Spindle Wizard is a positioning system for the quill, and while I'm
unfamiliar with them, my guess is that the cylinder really is attached to
the
quill lock to keep it in place while milling. I think this is a 2 axis
control with the ability to change the Z depth when nothing else is moving.
In fact, the quill drive may not be strong enough to plunge a cutter into
the
work, only position it to a certain depth before cutting begins. The quill
needs to be locked to prevent the cutter from pulling down into the
workpiece.

What you really want to do is to ask the question on the list, "Anyone know
how the Spindle Wizard quill drive works"?

If your control is toast, your best bet is a complete retrofit with
Geckodrives and a PC. You may be able to salvage the motors and power supply

components. If you have what I think you have, inside the control box
there'll be a blue colored servo amplifier box that says something like,
"NC-100" on it. Does it?

Get a digital camerea, pictures would be a big help!

Matt

Discussion Thread

tjsite <schmtj@i... 2003-02-24 14:54:18 UTC Looking for as much info as possible to construct a CNC system turbulatordude <davemucha@j... 2003-02-24 17:57:31 UTC Re: Looking for as much info as possible to construct a CNC system Matt Shaver 2003-02-25 19:08:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for as much info as possible to construct a CNC system Matt Shaver 2003-02-25 22:19:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Looking for as much info as possible to construct a CNC system Jeff Goldberg 2003-02-26 05:28:13 UTC Stepper resistance reading question Jeff Goldberg 2003-02-26 05:28:15 UTC Is anyone familiar with a Spindle Wizard? Jon Elson 2003-02-26 09:21:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Is anyone familiar with a Spindle Wizard? Raymond Heckert 2003-02-26 21:16:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper resistance reading question