CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hot rolled router frame

on 2003-02-28 09:43:09 UTC
I have done this a bit too, and I agree with Doug
about the stress in ASTM A-500 welded structural
tubing. It is not as bad as cold drawn solids, but it
will warp a good bit if you take a bunch off of one side.

I have not found the tubing particularly straight...
1/8" over six feet is typical. I don't know if there is a spec.

I have had good luck with finite-element designed tubing space frame
structures by doing the following:

1) carefully cut pieces to length as accurately as possible

2) tack weld structure up on a leveled surface using a surveyor's transit
for guidance.Complete welds using minimum heat in an alternating pattern.

3) use hot rolled ASTM A-36 solids for critical areas like linear rail way
bolting surfaces. Much less residual stress.

I found MIG welding much much easier to do than a
pinned or bolted structure.

Warping? I was concerned about it on the last one.
It was too big to heat treat stress relieve economically. I considered
vibratory stress relief,
but was very dubious about the claimed results. I
had done a study at work on the subject and found
no scientific proof that it does anything at all.

So I did no stress relief, other than careful welding sequences.. The way
surfaces were scraped/grouted to +/- 0.0005" initially. This may result in
less induced
stress than Blanchard grinding. My local grinders at
the time ( American Grinding in Chicago) said that
they could hold no better than +/- 0.007" in due to
grinding and other induced stresses. I am sure a way grinding firm could do
much better.

I found that drilling and tapping blind linear way bolt holes warped the six
feet of solid A-36 about 0.002".

That was corrected, and the frame sat for about a year while I worked on
other stuff. After a bumpy
1000 mile ride in a truck and reinstallation, I found
only 0.0015 of additional warping had occured.

So, by careful welding practices and using A-36
hot rolled in critical areas I seem to have gotten
away with little residual stress in the structure, but
I did have to correct a couple thousandths.

Les