CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 axis coil winder help needed

on 2003-03-03 10:38:23 UTC
Hi Sheldon (?),

Sounds like you want to wind coils for miniature I.C. engines!

Each winding layer is a helix, so A axis rotations along with X axis
travel should do it. Then the transverse reverses, perhaps after a
pause for a layer of insulation or varnish. This sounds like a good job
for a subroutine call.

Have you the hardware designed? NEMA #17 otta spin it. You might want
to put in end of travel "home" detectors (photo-interrupters), at least
on one end. Counting steps should take care of the rest.

You might care to contact me off list. KM6VV @ ARRL . NET

Alan KM6VV

"ddgman2001 " wrote:

> I would like to build a 2 axis coil winder.
>
> I need to control RPM and number of turns on one axis - ramping too
> if possible. This axis would rotate the coil.
>
> On the second axis I need to control traverse rate and width. This
> axis would feed the wire back and forth across the spool.
>
> I'm thinking it might be easiest to use an existing 3 axis controller
> to control the X and Z axis. Then use the X axis to rotate the coil
> and the Z to control the traverse. Then draft the traverse as zigzag
> Z movements and copy and paste the desired number to create the
> length needed to end up with the number of turns on the X axis. My
> only experience with CNC is with a 3 axis router, so this is why I'm
> thinking of this solution.
>
> Is there a simple programing language like BASIC that could control
> two steppers with inputs for rpm, ramp value, number of turns,
> traverse width, traverse rate?
>
> Also if it helps, the coils are small .5" to 4" and the wire guage is
> tiny #42 to #44.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Discussion Thread

ddgman2001 <sheldon@d... 2003-03-02 18:32:20 UTC 2 axis coil winder help needed Paul 2003-03-03 10:08:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 axis coil winder help needed Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-03-03 10:38:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 axis coil winder help needed paul jones 2003-03-03 13:23:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 axis coil winder help needed ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-03-04 06:01:19 UTC Re: 2 axis coil winder help needed