CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 2 axis coil winder help needed

on 2003-03-04 06:01:19 UTC
Hello,

Have you seen vince Gingerys book on building a coil winder?
Lindsaybks.com has it...

Is there a reason you really NEED cnc for this? (cuz making accurate
coils has been pretty effectively done for decades without cnc)

As long as you're winding "full" layers, all you need is a motor, a
click counter (few bucks surplus; or could use a hall effect device
and electronic counter, which could then speed and slow the motor
with a pic micro); and some easily constructed wire "followers" to
help change dirs at each end. You can even wind narrower coils on top
of wider base coils with this structly mechanical (and CHEAP!) setup..

I love cnc, but sometimes it is overkill...

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "ddgman2001 <sheldon@d...>"
<sheldon@d...> wrote:
> I would like to build a 2 axis coil winder.
>
> I need to control RPM and number of turns on one axis - ramping too
> if possible. This axis would rotate the coil.
>
> On the second axis I need to control traverse rate and width. This
> axis would feed the wire back and forth across the spool.
>
> I'm thinking it might be easiest to use an existing 3 axis
controller
> to control the X and Z axis. Then use the X axis to rotate the
coil
> and the Z to control the traverse. Then draft the traverse as
zigzag
> Z movements and copy and paste the desired number to create the
> length needed to end up with the number of turns on the X axis. My
> only experience with CNC is with a 3 axis router, so this is why
I'm
> thinking of this solution.
>
> Is there a simple programing language like BASIC that could control
> two steppers with inputs for rpm, ramp value, number of turns,
> traverse width, traverse rate?
>
> Also if it helps, the coils are small .5" to 4" and the wire guage
is
> tiny #42 to #44.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Discussion Thread

ddgman2001 <sheldon@d... 2003-03-02 18:32:20 UTC 2 axis coil winder help needed Paul 2003-03-03 10:08:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 axis coil winder help needed Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-03-03 10:38:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 axis coil winder help needed paul jones 2003-03-03 13:23:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 axis coil winder help needed ballendo <ballendo@y... 2003-03-04 06:01:19 UTC Re: 2 axis coil winder help needed