CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: More on wire.

Posted by D.F.S.
on 2000-02-25 08:57:35 UTC

> From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
>
> I have found some wire that I intend to buy one day when I get some
> money. The CAT 5 idea was only because it is free from work at the
> moment. I can only buy stuff when my wife's not looking.
> Multi-stranded 6 conductor 18 AWG in the Newark catalog. Page
> 1049. They call it "Paired Unshielded Sound and Control Cable" $46.59
> for 100 ft. 6 conductor because I only have old unipolar stuff.
> Stock # 37F3114WA
> Anybody use this stuff?

OUCH, if I was you wife I'd get mad at you too.... ;-).

You shouldn't have to spend that kind of money on this stuff.

Don't you have any local surplus places?

You should be able to do better at a hardware store, ie. Eagle, Home Base
Home Despot whatever.

Around here, the surplus places sell wire by the spool for 5-10-15 bucks a
spool, depending on how big it "Looks".

These are industrial spools that are sometimes have shipping damage or are
lost freight. They are usually in the 100-1,000 ft length range.

Another source could be OLD computer and electronic cables.
Cut the ends off and use the wires.

Often the copper/plastic ratio is high enough the scrap guys aren't
too interested either, and it can be had dirt cheap.

I have some older computer cables that are stranded, 16 conductor, sheilded
and are about 1/2" Diam and 50-75' long, they cost me a buck each.

Marc

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-02-25 05:25:37 UTC More on wire. D.F.S. 2000-02-25 08:57:35 UTC Re: More on wire.