CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: AC Motor Speed Controller?

Posted by Chris
on 2003-03-07 18:55:04 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Blackburn"
<blckburn@b...> wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I am looking for information or availability for a Speed
controller on
> my AC Spindle Motor for my Mill? It is a Capacitor start type
of AC
> Motor. Any ideas who might carry a speed controller for this type
of
> Motor would be appreciated. Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> Bill

I'm no electrical engineer but I think you may have to change the
motor to a DC or AC/DC motor and use a DC motor controller.

You could also get a 3 phase motor and use a variable frequency
drive. Small drives 3/4hp or less commonly use a single phase input
incase you don't have a 3 phase shop.

I just picked up a 1/2hp VFD on ebay for $65 and several 3/4hp DC
controllers for $30/each.

Hope this helps a little.

Discussion Thread

Bill Blackburn 2003-03-07 11:54:44 UTC AC Motor Speed Controller? Chris 2003-03-07 18:55:04 UTC Re: AC Motor Speed Controller? James Owens 2003-03-08 06:26:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] AC Motor Speed Controller?