CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: chopper drive - resonance problems - need ideas

Posted by Tim Goldstein
on 2000-02-25 10:31:25 UTC
Joel,

Resonance is a well recognized phenomena in steppers. One of the normal
first cures is to use 1/2 steps instead of whole steps. This often
eliminates the problem. It also seems you need to be concerned about it in
the actual application, not with the motors free standing as the additional
drag, inertia, etc. of the application will change the resonance as you have
seen. Another way to reduce or eliminate it is to use micro steps instead of
1/2 steps. Finally, the software you use has a large bearing upon this
issue. I was using DeskNC and while it is inexpensive, easy to setup and use
I had a big resonance problem with it. I switched to EMC and the resonance
was much reduced. I played with the acceleration and it got better. I
switched to the new frequency based EMC stepper module and everything is
running great.

The point of all this is don't just look at the controller, resonance is a
much more inclusive issue to deal with.

Tim
[Denver, CO]