CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can someone please explain this.......

Greg Jackson wrote:

>Jon,
>Ok, I get it on the power thing: the motors are sucking up power as VI with
>the voltage drop being the small voltage drop of the motor, not the 60 some
>volts of the DC bus. I also get the fact that the drive, because it's an
>on/off device, does not represent the remaining power discrepancy. In
>other words, just because the bus is 60 VDC and the motor delta V is 2.5
>volts, the drive is not heating up like 57.5 volts would. With PWM the
>drops do not have to add up. Never the less, 7 amps is 7 amps. This
>represents a certain number of electrons that are going through the motor.
>If those electrons come through the transformer then its amperage is
>overloading.

No. The reason is TIME! The switching transistor is only on a SMALL
fraction of the time.
Ignoring edge effects, if the supply is 60 V, and the idle drop in the
winding is 2 V, then the
transistor should be on approximately 2/60 = 3.33% of the time. So, it
will be drawing 7 A
from the power supply, in pulses, only 3.33% of the time. The AVERAGE
current draw
will be 233 mA (per winding) or 466 mA for both windings (when both
windings are at
full current, such as in a full-step drive). If the current draw was
still 7 A, and the power
supply was 60 V, it would be drawing 420 W, not the 28 W it actually
draws. And, the
driver would HAVE to, by the laws of physics, dissipate the difference.

>It seems possible that, with some inductance, the current through the motors
>does not have to add up to the current out of the bus. If the inductance of
>the motor keeps things going in circles through free wheeling diodes, then
>the electrons can just go in circles between the drive and the motor with a
>bit of extra current tossed in every time the PWM circuit is open. This is
>the only way I can figure that the electrons out of the DC bus are less than
>the electrons flowing through the motor. Is this what is going on?

Yes, absolutely. The motor inductance is the entire key to how this works.
Making the current recirculate until it needs to be bumped up again allows
a "free ride" by recycling the current.

Greg Jackson 2003-03-09 09:40:10 UTC Can someone please explain this....... Jon Elson 2003-03-09 15:33:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can someone please explain this....... Ray Henry 2003-03-09 18:01:45 UTC Re: Re: Can someone please explain this....... Greg Jackson 2003-03-09 20:09:32 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can someone please explain this....... Jon Elson 2003-03-09 22:25:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Can someone please explain this....... Cardinal.Eng 2003-03-13 02:01:11 UTC Re: Can someone please explain this....... Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-03-13 11:03:10 UTC Re: Can someone please explain this....... Cardinal.Eng 2003-03-14 03:36:47 UTC Re: Can someone please explain this.......