CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: DIY Source/Hacking Variable Reluctance Motor & Controller

Posted by kdoney_63021
on 2003-03-11 18:50:35 UTC
I would suggest you hang around ebay for about a week and see what
you can come up with there. I think right now you can get the whole
combination for which you are looking for about $200.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "belegc" <beleg@m...> wrote:
> I've been contemplating using hacking/adapting a commercially
> available variable reluctance motor to drive a benchtop lathe
> (1/2hp, 110VAC and 40-2500RPM).
>
> I haven't had much luck finding any info out there. So, here I am.
> :-)
>
> There's the usual problem of parsing a search: variable
> reluctance vs. digitally switched vs. variable frequency motor.
I'm
> afraid I'm still learning proper electric motor terminology....
>
> Then there's the question of finding an affordable source for the
> motor & speed control electronics. I'm hopeful that there's a DIY
> hack for some commonly salvaged appliance/gadget.
>
> Any input on clarifying the search, or specific reference sources
> (I've hit NEMA, and some of the more obvious motor
> manufacturers) would be appreciated.
>
> Mike

Discussion Thread

belegc 2003-03-11 15:06:29 UTC DIY Source/Hacking Variable Reluctance Motor & Controller kdoney_63021 2003-03-11 18:50:35 UTC Re: DIY Source/Hacking Variable Reluctance Motor & Controller Jon Elson 2003-03-11 22:27:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DIY Source/Hacking Variable Reluctance Motor & Controller