CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper motor connection problem

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2003-03-15 09:38:01 UTC
If the motor oscilates back and forth then it means that one phase is
wired backwards relative to the other. Simply swap the wires connected
to termial A and B of J5.
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Elliot Burke [mailto:elliot@...]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 11:31 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper motor connection problem

In trying to get a 20 year old stepper motor stage going I've managed to
create a puzzle, perhaps someone can help me. What I have is a
Camtronics 5A controller. It is known good, it works well with 4 wire
stepper motors. Also have a 6 wire stepper motor, 200 steps, 12 V/0.44A,
45 oz-in, made by Eastern Air Devices, 1984. So I measure the coil
resistance with a DVM, and find that there are two center tapped coils,
22 ohm resistance to the centertap. I pick 4 connections on the motor, 2
pair which have 22 ohm resistance. The two pair have megohms of
resistance between them. Connect one (of four) wire from the controller
to a centertap on the motor. Now there are 6 ways the remaining 3 wires
can be connected to 3 connections on the motor. I try them all. No go,
the motor just jitters clockwise and counterclockwise.

What gives?

I know the motor is good because it works with its own antique
controller. There is apparently no available documention on the
controller, no way to computer control it, so the plan is to use Mach1
on it with the Camtronics board.

Much thanks to all for help, and for the many great ideas and
discussions on this list.

Elliot B.
---

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
if you have trouble.

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there,
for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........ bill
List Mom List Owner

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

Elliot Burke 2003-03-14 23:30:49 UTC stepper motor connection problem turbulatordude 2003-03-15 06:23:55 UTC Re: stepper motor connection problem Dan Mauch 2003-03-15 09:38:01 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper motor connection problem Jon Elson 2003-03-15 10:51:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper motor connection problem JanRwl@A... 2003-03-15 16:21:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] stepper motor connection problem