CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: stepper motor connection problem

on 2003-03-15 06:23:55 UTC
If the driver is easily wired for a 4 wire,
set the amps to half the nameplate
isolate the center taps on both coils, tape and wirenuts.

wire the motor as a 4 wire, series connected.

That should be an easy way to test it as it's hard to make any
mistakes.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Elliot Burke" <elliot@h...>
wrote:
> In trying to get a 20 year old stepper motor stage going I've
managed to
> create a puzzle, perhaps someone can help me.
> What I have is a Camtronics 5A controller. It is known good, it
works well
> with 4 wire stepper motors.
> Also have a 6 wire stepper motor, 200 steps, 12 V/0.44A, 45 oz-in,
made by
> Eastern Air Devices, 1984.
> So I measure the coil resistance with a DVM, and find that there
are two
> center tapped coils, 22 ohm resistance to the centertap.
> I pick 4 connections on the motor, 2 pair which have 22 ohm
resistance. The
> two pair have megohms of resistance between them.
> Connect one (of four) wire from the controller to a centertap on
the motor.
> Now there are 6 ways the remaining 3 wires can be connected to 3
connections
> on the motor.
> I try them all.
> No go, the motor just jitters clockwise and counterclockwise.
>
> What gives?
>
> I know the motor is good because it works with its own antique
controller.
> There is apparently no available documention on the controller, no
way to
> computer control it, so the plan is to use Mach1 on it with the
Camtronics