CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GeckoDrive: seeking practical advice about the Big Capacitor !

Hans Wedemeyer wrote:

>I now have a Gecko Drive (G201) driving a PacSci motor which is rated at 5 Amps/Phase in a parallel connection.
>
>The Gecko is set to 5 Amp (using a 120K set R) Supply Voltage is regulated 36 Volts at 8 Amps. At the Gecko ( 6 inches from it)
>there is a 15,000uF 50 Volt Cap.
>
>Under no load conditions the motor can reach the speed required, but under load it reaches a point where
>it makes a horrible sounds and stops rotating.
>
>Under normal circumstances if I could increase the Voltage to (say 50-60V) I feel sure the motor would continue to rotate.
>
>This design does not allow greater than 36 Volt.
>
>My Question:- I have space for a 56,000uF 50 Volt Cap. . Does anyone have experience of the result of increasing the Cap. Value by almost 4X , would it help solve the problem or is it a waste of time
>?

It would most likely be a waste of time. Unless the power supply is
unable to keep up with the current draw, and the voltage is sagging.
A 56000 uF capacitor would only slow the drooping by a fraction
of a second. The 15000 uF cap is probably not needed, as this is
a regulated power supply. Put a voltmeter on the power terminals
of the Gecko drive. If the voltage drops when accelerating the motors,
try the cap. If the voltage does not change, the cap will do no good.
You don't have 2 of these supplies that you can put in series, do you?

Hans Wedemeyer 2003-03-16 14:24:01 UTC GeckoDrive: seeking practical advice about the Big Capacitor ! Tim Goldstein 2003-03-16 20:03:30 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GeckoDrive: seeking practical advice about the Big Capacitor ! Jan Kok 2003-03-16 21:23:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GeckoDrive: seeking practical advice about the Big Capacitor ! Jon Elson 2003-03-16 21:58:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GeckoDrive: seeking practical advice about the Big Capacitor !