CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: DRO function when using gekos in manual mode

on 2003-03-19 14:11:35 UTC
You can use the encoder as a DRO if you don't mind wiring a little
circuitry. The DRO will read the position while it is servo
controlled, or if you reset the G320 (motor free-wheels), you can
read position while hand cranking the machine. Here's how to do it:

1) Power the encoder from your PC +5VDC supply (available on GAME
PORT pin 1). Take the encoder CHANNEL A and CHANNEL B outputs to
where ever they have to go on your PC for the DRO function.

2) Get a dual-channel opto-isolator. Take the opto collectors to the
G320 PHASE A and PHASE B inputs. Take both opto emitters to the G320
ENC- input.

3) Put 180 ohm resistors in series with the opto LEDs. Take the LED
cathodes to the encoder CHANNEL A and CHANNEL B outputs. Take both
opto LED anodes to your PC +5VDC.

4) Place a 470 ohm resistor across the G320 ENC- and ENC+ terminals.

Now both the PC and the G320 can use the encoder. This also gets
around the 50mA maximum encoder supply current limit of the G320 so
higher supply current encoders can be used.

If there is interest, I will draw up and post a circuit diagram of
this to the group.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "sparkness2003" <mark@c...>
wrote:
> I have a BP type mill Im cncing.Im installing ball screws and next
> will be servo motors. from what ive read geckos are the way to go
for
> me.is there any software I can use when in manual control of the
> machine to read the encoders and display DRO?

Discussion Thread

sparkness2003 2003-03-18 16:48:59 UTC DRO function when using gekos in manual mode Jon Elson 2003-03-18 22:38:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] DRO function when using gekos in manual mode Mariss Freimanis 2003-03-19 14:11:35 UTC Re: DRO function when using gekos in manual mode Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-03-19 14:21:18 UTC Re: DRO function when using gekos in manual mode sparkness2001 2003-03-19 15:43:24 UTC Re: DRO function when using gekos in manual mode Vince Negrete 2003-03-24 07:33:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: DRO function when using gekos in manual mode Mariss Freimanis 2003-03-24 07:48:05 UTC Re: DRO function when using gekos in manual mode