CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC and arch welding

fortino tan wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there any special design of power supply that can be safely used to run
>CNC that close to welding equipment without causing the CNC to run
>erraticly? Let assume that you can't have any other choice other than to let
>your CNC and welding equipment work together.

It is not the power supply, for the most part, that is the problem. It
is the magnetic
coupling between wires (ie. welding cables and encoder cables) that
causes most
of the trouble. You need shielded cables with differential signals
between the
encoders and whatever is accepting the encoder signals. The
differential signals
are VERY effective in reducing interference. It is also necessary to be
VERY
careful about having every device on the end of a cable insulated at the far
end. What I mean is that the encoders should only have a ground on the
computer or servo drive end, and be totally insulated from the machine
frame.
This will almost completely solve any such problems.

The worst-case situation is a CNC-controlled plasma cutter, where the
powerful
interference source is right ON the CNC machine. People have gotten
these to
work, but there will be some trickyness in getting it all to work together.

fortino tan 2003-03-24 17:02:29 UTC CNC and arch welding dpaulson22000 2003-03-24 18:05:48 UTC Re: CNC and arch welding Jon Elson 2003-03-24 21:16:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC and arch welding