CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best Servo setup for mill/drill?

jlwas2002 wrote:

>Can anyone inform me on what kind/type of servo motors are best for a
>mill/drill (RF 45)? AC, DC type servo motors?? Did a little
>searching, but still a tad unclear. Any good books on the subject?
>Amazon.com came up emtpy for decent books on the subject.

DC brush motors are usually cheaper, and their servo amplifiers are almost
certainly cheaper, than for AC or DC brushless motors.

I'm not too sure where to look for info. Some of the maker's web sites
have a
good deal of info, though. Look at Kollmorgen and Copley Controls, for
instance.

>I have a set of ball screws (adjustable preload type) that will be
>installed soon. I want to have a manual provision also, and am
>working on a hand brake design for the X and Y. Thinking about a belt
>drive system. I have some stepper motors (~600 oz-in units) that I
>picked up free, but it seems that servo's are the the way to go??

Servos give you a wider range of speeds, can be smoother, and require you to
have some sort of closed-loop operation, where actual position is monitored.
Belt reduction is good, because most servo motors produce the maximum
power at higher speeds than steppers.

jlwas2002 2003-03-25 22:26:20 UTC Best Servo setup for mill/drill? Dan Mauch 2003-03-26 07:12:10 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best Servo setup for mill/drill? Jon Elson 2003-03-26 10:35:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best Servo setup for mill/drill?