CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Power Supply Questions

on 2003-03-30 13:40:47 UTC
Hi Don,

If you use the series connection, you wire for 1/2 nameplate amps.
select the current set resistor for 1/2 nameplate.

Since the chopper power supply limits power as required, it will use
what it wants. typically that is about 2/3 of FLA.

so you can size your power supply for between 2/3 and full amps. if
you ever plan on using single coil and full amps, considder sizing
your power supply accordingly. even is you only use one motor, it
will draw the amps required.

I'm not sure how much line voltage/watts are used just to energize
the transformer in standby. if you never use full amps, the
difference between the power your draw and the reserve is X number of
watts per hour. it might not be enough to worry about.

bottom line, set the current set resistors for the motor.
select the power supply for the entire system. seperate actions.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "d_bobzien" <d_bobzien@y...>
wrote:
> Hello,
> I have three Superior Electric stepper motors rated 150 oz/in,
2.25V,
> 4.6A, 6 Leads. From what I've read these ratings are for unipolar
> operation. I'll be running them from Gecko 201 drives.
> I read on the Gecko web site "step motor basics", if I run this
motor
> full winding (series) I should derate the amps to 1/2 of the
unipolar
> rating.
> Does that mean I set current limit resistor to 2.3A? But then when I
> read a few pages more about power supply it says the drive will draw
> 2/3 of rated motor current for half winding or 1/3 of rated motor
> current for full winding. So for full winding that means .76A is
this
> what I should set the current limit resistor for?
> Can I run the three motors off an unregulated 6A, 40VDC power
supply?
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Don

Discussion Thread

d_bobzien 2003-03-30 11:54:08 UTC Power Supply Questions turbulatordude 2003-03-30 13:40:47 UTC Re: Power Supply Questions J Hamilton 2003-03-30 15:51:38 UTC Re: Power Supply Questions (Wattage?) turbulatordude 2003-03-31 09:31:55 UTC Re: Power Supply Questions (Wattage?) J Hamilton 2003-03-31 19:55:46 UTC Re: Power Supply Questions (Wattage?)