CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Power Supply Questions (Wattage?)

Posted by J Hamilton
on 2003-03-30 15:51:38 UTC
Related question for Dave, or Mariss, or whomever knows...

My specifics are a 65VDC/8A PS driving three PacSci 252oz/in steper
motors (Model #s M22NRXB_LNN_NS-DD) rated at 2.3A/phase, bipolar
series, Vs(dc)=65...

I figure a 22(ish)k current set resistor? Am I on track with my
math? At what wattage per resistor?

And while I'm thinking of it, since I have this huge power supply
relative to my steppers, what is your concensus regarding putting
the PS in it's own box (with a 27000uF Cap, bridge, fuse, on/off,
lamp, fan, etc...) and running 2-strand up to the driver box
(isolated 5v PS, it's own small fan, PMDX-120 board, and all the
trimmings). I'd like to put some distance between my tired flesh
and the Cap, if possible.

Still putting this thing together.

Thank you,

Jim

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<davemucha@j...> wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> If you use the series connection, you wire for 1/2 nameplate
amps.
> select the current set resistor for 1/2 nameplate.
>
> Since the chopper power supply limits power as required, it will
use
> what it wants. typically that is about 2/3 of FLA.
>
> so you can size your power supply for between 2/3 and full amps.
if

<d_bobzien@y...>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have three Superior Electric stepper motors rated 150 oz/in,
> 2.25V,
> > 4.6A, 6 Leads. From what I've read these ratings are for unipolar
> > operation. I'll be running them from Gecko 201 drives.
> > I read on the Gecko web site "step motor basics", if I run this
> motor
> > full winding (series) I should derate the amps to 1/2 of the
> unipolar
> > rating.
> > Does that mean I set current limit resistor to 2.3A? But then
when I
> > read a few pages more about power supply it says the drive will
draw
> > 2/3 of rated motor current for half winding or 1/3 of rated motor
> > current for full winding. So for full winding that means .76A is
> this
> > what I should set the current limit resistor for?
> > Can I run the three motors off an unregulated 6A, 40VDC power
> supply?
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> > Don

Discussion Thread

d_bobzien 2003-03-30 11:54:08 UTC Power Supply Questions turbulatordude 2003-03-30 13:40:47 UTC Re: Power Supply Questions J Hamilton 2003-03-30 15:51:38 UTC Re: Power Supply Questions (Wattage?) turbulatordude 2003-03-31 09:31:55 UTC Re: Power Supply Questions (Wattage?) J Hamilton 2003-03-31 19:55:46 UTC Re: Power Supply Questions (Wattage?)