CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Over voltage crowbar - (for Mariss really )

on 2003-04-02 15:19:15 UTC
Andrew,

Good afternoon! That certainly works but it is at the expense of a
fuse that must die then. I have a more elegant solution posted for a
while now in the "files" section called POWER SUPPLY.pdf

1) The power supply voltage is kept from rising above the supply no-
load value (returned energy dump).

2) The circuit discharges the supply cap in about 0.25 second when
the mains are switched off.

3) The circuit dynamically brakes the motors to a stop very rapidly,
so the mains switch functions as an e-stop as well.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Mawson" <andrew@m...>
wrote:
> Mariss,
>
> I understand from one of your very informative posts, overvoltage
is
> a large cause of failure with Gecko stepper drivers.
>
> Many years ago in the early days of semiconductors, the lab I
worked
> in developed a simple 'overvoltage crowbar' circuit that was
desgined
> to blow fuses if the rail went over a certain limit. Simplicity
> itself, it consisted of a thyristor accross the supply, with a
drive
> circuit based on a zener diode, that turned the thyrisor on at a
> certain voltage.
>
> The theory was that fuses were not fast enough to protect the
> semiconductors in the circuit, but the thyristor would drop the
volts
> and hold on long enough for the fuse to blow thus saving the day.
>
> At the time we were protecting vastly expensive yttrium iron
garnate
> infra red multielement array detectors used to watch the Russians
> from space, but could not a similar concept be incorporated to
> protect Gecko 201 & 210's ?
>
> Andrew Mawson
> Bromley,
> Kent,
> UK

Discussion Thread

Andrew Mawson 2003-04-02 14:16:38 UTC Over voltage crowbar - (for Mariss really ) Mariss Freimanis 2003-04-02 15:19:15 UTC Re: Over voltage crowbar - (for Mariss really ) Andrew Mawson 2003-04-02 15:51:28 UTC Re: Over voltage crowbar - (for Mariss really )