CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: DeskNC troubleshooting

Posted by Jay Hayes
on 2000-02-29 09:30:06 UTC
I used Desk NC with a plasma retro fit I did a few months ago. It took a little playing with the machine configuration file to
get everything running right.

I must second what Joe said about support from Carl. I had a problem when my customer's new computer had a 3D video card that
wouldn't allow Desk NC to open. Carl spent several days sending me test programs and revisions to solve the problem.

The other problem I had, not related to Desk NC, was electronic noise from the plasma arc, causing erratic motion when the arc
was iniated or if the cut path ran off the edge of the metal being cut. I was running a servo system and it seemed that the
noise was getting in to the servo drivers via the encoder cables. I shielded the cables, which helped the problem to some
extent. Finally I moved the servo driver enclosure several feet away from the cutting head and rerouted the leads to the cutting
head away from the enclosure. That eliminated the problem.

Joe, I'd be interested in hearing more about your R-theta tubing notcher.

Jay Hayes
Weston, WV

Joe Vicars wrote:

> From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
>
> Peter,
> Give me about a week to get my x-y plasma table finished. Then I
> will be very interested in going over issues like the one you described.
>
> I used DeskNC for about a week on my R-theta tubing notcher without
> any noticible issues. But I had to remove the motors to build the x-y
> gantry.
>
> As a side note, I must give praise to Carl at DeskNC. During the
> construction of my R-theta machine he was emailing me almost
> instantaneous responses for more than a week to help with my problems
> (and I am not a paying customer). I intend to buy a copy of DeskNC even
> though I may move to other software for future machines. Check's in the
> mail Carl.

Snip

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-02-29 06:31:34 UTC DeskNC troubleshooting Jay Hayes 2000-02-29 09:30:06 UTC Re: DeskNC troubleshooting