CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Spindle question

on 2003-04-09 10:57:39 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "tig415" <tig416@e...> wrote:
> I'm trying to get educated about spindles.
> Are the bearings air cooled? And if so are they a special bearing?
> Sorry if this sounds ignorant but I have zero knowledge on these
> things.
>
> Thanks
> Derek

not totally sure of the question.

the spindles on my drill press are low speed and use ABEC-1 ball
bearings (or less) not even angled thurst style.

most low speed are just bearings of varying quality.

most routers are simple ball bearings too.

once you get up into the 50,000 and above for higher speeds, some
spindles are air driven like in PCB routers.

Air cooled might mean fins or something, as far as I have seen, there
is no need to shed heat as the low rolling resistance does not create
heat in the first place.

Dave

Discussion Thread

tig415 2003-04-09 09:58:42 UTC Spindle question turbulatordude 2003-04-09 10:57:39 UTC Re: Spindle question Jon Elson 2003-04-09 22:49:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Spindle question