CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] electrical code?

Posted by Harvey White
on 2003-04-17 11:53:23 UTC
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:27:30 -0000, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Thanks to this list and helpful members, I have now acquired skills
>and knowledge and have cobbled together working stepper drivers, etc.
> I have learned to use things like using heat shrik tubes to
>isolate exposed live wires, etc. However, while the drivers work, I
>am not so happy with the state of the wirings, which seem a little
>messy.
>
>Now I want to aim a little higher - to make the driver a bit more
>professional, especially from the aspect of electrical and other
>safety. What are the things one would need to think about? What
>should one to to make the driver more "professional" and fullfill all
>aspect of electrical code?

Construction techniques can be improved. Cable ties can bundle wires
so they don't go everywhere. Good soldering is important, both for
reliability and for appearance. Good mechanical finish on the
enclosures and laying out all the holes in a regular pattern is also
helpful. Using the right size wires and using disconnects and good
quality connectors to the boards (if not hard wired) is also good.

Electrically, good heatsinks, proper part spacing, good quality parts,
good mechanical mounting, properly rated connectors, proper use of
fuses, those help too....

One trick you can do for a front panel is to use a laser printer or an
inkjet on transparent film (or photo style paper if you want opaque),
then place that under a layer of plastic. The metal panel,
transparency, and plastic become a somewhat thick, but very artistic
front panel.

Some projects, both mechanical, and electronic, can be found at
www.netcom.com/~madyn and go to the electronics or the metal links for
various ideas. You can also reach the metalworking pages directly by
going to www.netcom.com/~madynmetal

Harvey

>BTW is there a code for electrical items like stepper driver one can
>refer to?

Electrical codes, but those can be less than useful.

If you can find a piece of military gear, check to see how it is
wired... Also, find a piece of equipment that you think is neatly
wired and see what they did...

Neat may just be the major key.

H.

>Many thanks
>
>Andrew

Discussion Thread

andrewyslee 2003-04-17 06:28:55 UTC electrical code? Harvey White 2003-04-17 11:53:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] electrical code? Jeff Goldberg 2003-04-17 12:35:09 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] electrical code? doug98105 2003-04-17 13:34:34 UTC Re: electrical code? pcfw 2003-04-17 15:05:54 UTC Re: electrical code? andrewyslee 2003-04-17 16:03:48 UTC Re: electrical code? Jeff Goldberg 2003-04-17 17:33:20 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: electrical code? Jeff Goldberg 2003-04-17 17:54:10 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: electrical code?