CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: broken drill detector ?

on 2003-04-19 14:02:15 UTC
Hi Steve,

are you monitoring a current rating of the motor, watching the first
hole with a new bit to see the max amps, the using some number, say
20% higher as a limit ?

I think I could put on a simpe cuttent transducer and just monitor
the motor current to a relay of some sort, then tell the software to
pause until the 'problem' is cleared.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <s.bromley@a...>
wrote:
> From: "turbulatordude" <davemucha@j...>
> > I'm drilling 1/16 holes in aluminum and the drill bits gunk up and
> > occosionally it seems like the drill just will not cut. The motor
> > (trim router, $20.00 Harbor freight speed control) will slow down
> > noticably.
> >
> > I was thinking of monitoring motor amps to indicate a clogged bit,
> > but am not sure if there is a better way.
> >
> > suggestions ?
>
> Most of the higher end machines and presses we have at work are set
up to do
> that. The way most are set up is that you run the program through a
cycle
> and it records the loads, you then look at those and give it a
number it
> can't go over. A lot of times it's a % of the first cut or press
force.

Discussion Thread

turbulatordude 2003-04-18 18:50:22 UTC broken drill detector ? Steve 2003-04-19 10:54:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] broken drill detector ? turbulatordude 2003-04-19 14:02:15 UTC Re: broken drill detector ?