CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Moglice, how much separator spray

santorelli333 wrote:

>should I use on the x/y lead-screws???????
>
>The ones here that have used moglice, how much did you use and how
>has it held up in use.
>
>I don´t want to use to much and get a "loose" fit but I don´t want to
>use to little either...........

The book from Devitt gives some specs on how to do this. I can't tell
you anything about
how it will work on a nut. One problem, however, is that in Bridgeport
mills, the
nuts are bronze, and very long wearing. If the nut is worn enough to
need repair, the
middle of the screws are worn, too. That means the 'lands' in the
middle are thinner than
at the ends - visibly so! If you cast a nut at the middle, it will only
be able to move
a couple inches before it binds. If you cast the nut at the ends,
you'll have lots of
backlash at the middle - right back where you started.

There is no easy fix for this - if the screws are worn, you can't get a
low-backlash fit
over the whole screw, except by regrinding the threads.

I just did the carriage on my Sheldon lathe with Moglice, and being a
first-timer, I didn't
use enough the first application, and it left voids. So, I had to make
a second application,
and then scrape some to get it even. It sure looks like it is going to
work very well, though.

santorelli333 2003-04-23 21:56:48 UTC Moglice, how much separator spray Jon Elson 2003-04-23 23:50:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Moglice, how much separator spray