CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 2 motors, same axis question from newbie

Posted by caudlet
on 2003-05-01 21:25:53 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "robertokx" <robert.okx@s...>
wrote:
> If you have a long X axis lead screw & you dont have enough torque
> drive the screw with one motor, is it possible/practical to have
> another motor on the other end working in unison. The motor on the
> other end would ofcourse be set to rotate in the reverse direction.
> Can this be done?
>
> Thanks
> Robert

Robert, It's possible but I don't know how practical. You do NOT
want to run both motors off the same motor controller especially one
that automatically compensates for mid-band resonance problems.
Current limiting would be problematic as well. That means you are out
the cost of another controller at the least. If you do try this they
need to be the same step resolution (i.e. 1.8Deg/step) and you need
to have them powered up and "locked" with no steps BEFORE you tighten
the couplings to the common shaft so they will not be fighting each
other over who is at a step point and who is not.

Unless you already have all of the components to add the second motor
it might make economic sense to consider a stronger motor in the same
frame size.

Discussion Thread

robertokx 2003-05-01 15:17:16 UTC 2 motors, same axis question from newbie caudlet 2003-05-01 21:25:53 UTC Re: 2 motors, same axis question from newbie Jon Elson 2003-05-01 22:51:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 2 motors, same axis question from newbie