CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo as a Spindle - Mariss?

onecooltoolfool wrote:

>I want to use a DC brush servo as a spindle motor to give co-
>ordinated motion for tapping, but also have the motor run
>continuously fwd/rev. when machining as a regular spindle motor.
>
>I'm thinking it would be fairly easy to have a circuit that
>would "engage" the G320 servo drive for tapping and then switch over
>to direct DC or a PWM to act as a regular spindle motor. Aside from
>the ERR/Reset pause when "engaging" the servo drive, any problems
>with doing this?

Really, there's no reason that the G320 couldn't run the spindle under
all conditions.
You could make up a simple arrangement with a manually-controlled pulse
generator
that feeds the step input, and use one of the aux outputs to select
forward and
reverse to the direction input. This would also give you very constant
spindle
speed, as it would still be a servo-controlled loop.

Some small software changes could probably make most stepper programs
run the
spindle at computer-controlled speeds, too.

>Brother tapping machines use a large servo as the spindle motor and I
>think they do something similar to what I described.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions. This topic may have been covered
>before. Also, the availability of higher speed servos like 5000 rpm
>or more, in the size range .1 to .25 KW?

The motors are no problem, and you are not asking for much at all.

onecooltoolfool 2003-05-04 08:06:46 UTC Servo as a Spindle - Mariss? vrsculptor 2003-05-04 13:14:39 UTC Re: Servo as a Spindle - Mariss? Jon Elson 2003-05-04 22:19:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo as a Spindle - Mariss? David A. Frantz 2003-05-04 22:30:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo as a Spindle - Mariss? onecooltoolfool 2003-05-05 04:07:30 UTC Re: Servo as a Spindle - Mariss? Peter Homann 2003-05-05 16:59:31 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Servo as a Spindle - Mariss?