CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 3095

Posted by Scott Holmes
on 2003-05-06 08:35:51 UTC
For 110V, just use a red and the black, and leave the second red
open-circuit (don't forget to insulate it).

As to doubling your voltage, I would make up the two separate supplies. You
could do it either way, but with the transformer tying scheme, you're only
using one bridge rectifier. Splitting the power dissipation between the two
definitely won't hurt the longevity of your power supply. The important
thing is to just have one common (i.e.. don't tie the transformers together
as well as the bridge rectifiers), but it sounds like you've already got
that much figured out.

Scott

> Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 03:38:05 -0000
> From: "logiccooling" <logiccooling@...>
> Subject: Help putting together Power Supply
>
> I bought all the stuff I need to build my own PS and I think I
> understand most of it, but I'm a little unsure about how to hook up
> my transformer(s). I bought 2 of these transformers:
>
> http://www.logiccooling.com/images/xform.jpg
>
> I wasn't expecting there to be 3 wires on each side. I want to run
> 110V, not 220V. Should I just use the 110V and the common on one
> side, and the corresponding 12V and common on the output side?
>
> Also, I've got 2 of each part (xformer, rectifier, 27,000 uF caps).
> Would it be better to wire 2 completely different power supplies and
> then run their outputs in series to get the desired voltage? Or
> should I wire the Xformers together internally for the higher voltage?

Discussion Thread

Scott Holmes 2003-05-06 08:35:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Digest Number 3095