CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE:Help putting together Power Supply

Posted by Don Rogers
on 2003-05-06 17:00:14 UTC
At 03:20 PM 5/6/03 +0000, you wrote:
>I bought all the stuff I need to build my own PS and I think I
>understand most of it, but I'm a little unsure about how to hook up
>my transformer(s).

The transformer in your photo is a center taped 220v primary. You would
run 110v to the center and either of the end windings. The secondary is
24V center taped. You can use just one side for 12V, but the best is to
use a fullwave rectifier for maximum current and ease of filtering

A strong word of caution here though. If you are not sure of what you are
doing, get physical help. If your supply is not properly wired, you are
creating a safety hazard and you can damage all down stream
electronics. The electrolytic filter caps have a tendency to explode if
wired in reverse.

>Would it be better to wire 2 completely different power supplies and
>then run their outputs in series to get the desired voltage? Or
>should I wire the Xformers together internally for the higher voltage?
Neither of these are a good idea. If you stack the output, you are forced
to float the ground in one supply, not a good idea, a major safety issue.
Stacking the transformers runs into phase issues. Power supplies are not
like batteries, you can't just stack them to get the voltage you want.

Don Rogers

logiccooling 2003-05-05 22:41:09 UTC Help putting together Power Supply Jon 2003-05-06 10:14:44 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help putting together Power Supply Harvey White 2003-05-06 16:54:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Help putting together Power Supply Don Rogers 2003-05-06 17:00:14 UTC RE:Help putting together Power Supply turbulatordude 2003-05-07 06:29:01 UTC Re: Help putting together Power Supply Tony Jeffree 2003-05-07 07:07:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Help putting together Power Supply turbulatordude 2003-05-07 07:36:49 UTC Re: Help putting together Power Supply Tony Jeffree 2003-05-07 08:48:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Help putting together Power Supply