CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SEM Servo Motors

John Ross wrote:

> From: John Ross <johnr@...>
>
> I pulled one of the servo motors from the Gantry router I picked up
> yesterday. I says SEM Small Electrical Motor Company DC Servo
> Motor. Type
> 30R4-42 Const Stall Torque 28 Lb in. Max PRM 3200 Volts 135 Pulse
> Amps 52.
> Where would I find a driver to power these things? The Camtronics
> Looks
> like its 36 volts and 10A. Who makes a 135 V 52 amp servo amp?

Before you go searching for such an amp, you might compute what
force this can provide to the machine, and see if it is necessary
to get full performance from the motor. I suspect you'll find
that 7 KW is not necessary for your machine (but maybe it is).

It is quite possible that running this motor up to full RPM or full
torque would break parts or at least cause excessive wear to
your machine. Is it belt driven (from the motor to leadscrew)?
If so, the belt might be the limiting factor. I had the acceleration
turned too high on my EMC setup when I first moved to it, and
was sort of worried about the 'bump' when it started moving.
A few weeks later, it broke a relatively new belt, and I realized the
acceleration was way too high.

Jon Elson 2000-03-07 14:22:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SEM Servo Motors John Ross 2000-03-07 15:19:34 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] SEM Servo Motors