CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] UHMW slides

Posted by Dave Lantz
on 2003-05-08 08:48:31 UTC
just for your reference, i have found BOSCH aluminum structural framing to
be less expensive.

http://rexroth.starlinear.com/general/BRL_Login.asp?vcode=203&menuref=

I would get an account, so that you view the current prices of the
components. i would machine the UHMW pieces myself if i were to go that way
(you can get uhmw stock from mcmaster.com)
i was looking at a simliar approach for a plasma cutter later on (a
water-plasma cutter, not an arc plasma cutter) that would use belt bolted
down the aluminum extrusion on the top, with a drive wheel on the gantry,
and uhmw slides running down the sides of the extrusion...

-----Original Message-----
From: george_barr [mailto:george_barr@...]
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 1:57 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] UHMW slides

I have a question. I am building a CNC (hobby) and need it as
accurate as
possible. I am using aluminum extrusion from www.8020.net. They
have these
linear bearings which uses UHMW instead of ball bearings for slides.
These
slides uses slippery plastic like pads, instead of ball bearings, to
glide
along the aluminum extrusion. Does anyone have any experience using
these
types of slides? They said a shim can be purchased to provide a more
exact
fit with the slide and the extrusion beam.

I don't want to waste my money if these slides are not worth it. I
plan to
do PCB (circuit board) work with my cnc so it needs very good
accuracy.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM.
bill
List Mom
List Owner