CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: ATX PC "bench" supply jumpering??

Posted by Lee Studley
on 2003-05-12 23:45:52 UTC
Hi:
Below is copied from older posts searched on "ATX", also try search
using google.com

pappyfrance wrote:

>I have a compaq computer power supply I salvaged and want to use.
>However I can't figure it out. I know you need to keep a load on the
>5V line to get it turn on and to output the other voltages. I found
>the gray wire to ground does the trick, the fan comes on and the
>other voltages are there. However as soon as I apply a load it kicks
>out and I have to shut it off wait a couple of seconds and turn it
>back on. The load is 12V .22A so it can't be that. I have put
>various resitances across the 5V from 0 - 450K ohms. Same result.
>Any ideas.

The 3.3 V makes it look like an ATX supply. Are you loading the 3.3 V
too?
If you put a 5 Ohm 10 W resistor across the 5 V, and maybe a 5 - 10
Ohm
resistor of 5 - 10 W rating on the 3.3 V, it should work, unless
the .22 A
load on the 12 V is too little. You might need more load on the +12 V.

Jon

Message 58812 of 60467 | Previous | Next [ Up Thread ] Message
Index Msg #

From: "Lee Studley" <indigo_red@...>
Date: Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:35 am
Subject: Re: Computer Power Supply

Hi,
If this is and ATX power supply, the 3.3v sense line needs to be
connected to the 3.3v output for feedback. I think this i spin 1 and
11 Check out http://www.7volts.com/atxnotes.htm
-Lee

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, RichD <cmsteam@s...> wrote:
> Help?
> Which power plug pins are jumpered together to enable an ATX supply
> and also what has to be loaded to allow it to power up correctly.
>
> I know, it's limited, but I'm trying to put together a temporary
CNC
> demo for school to show some hopeful students how it's done on the
> cheap effectively.
>
> The PC supply was a donation for the cause.
> RichD

Discussion Thread

RichD 2003-05-12 22:42:07 UTC ATX PC "bench" supply jumpering?? Lee Studley 2003-05-12 23:45:52 UTC Re: ATX PC "bench" supply jumpering?? Lee Studley 2003-05-12 23:58:52 UTC Re: ATX PC "bench" supply jumpering??