CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:Threading of CNC

Posted by Peter Homann
on 2003-05-12 22:44:58 UTC
Hi Don,

I am also converting my Taig Lathe to CNC. I'd be interested in hearing
about how you are doing the conversion.

The spindle sensor I'm using is an optical reflective sensor. You can see
how it mounts onto the headstock in the photo below (Note: the photo shows
the sensor mounted to my mill)

ncoder.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/master5/lst%
3f%26.dir=/Homann%26.src=gr%26.view=t

For the lathe Z axis I used the leadscrew and 1/2 nut supplied by Minimech
(Http://minimech.com) It works well.

For the X axis I've replaced the leadscrew with a Sherline LHD thread
leadscrew for their mill. It's the same 1/4" 20tpi thread. I was going to
use the Sherline stepper mount and coupler to attach the stepper to the
carriage, but have decided to use a couple of pulleys and a timing belt
instead. The reason for this is that I can slip off the timing belt, release
the 1/2 nut and use the lathe in a manual mode.

As part of the conversion, I had all the side surfaces of the carriage
surface ground to make them vertical and perpendicular to the cross slide.
That way I can mount brackets to the side of the carriage. I plan to make a
ball bearing mounting block that will support the X leadscrew. This will
then bolt to the side of the carriage. The timing belt will run forward to
the stepper, that is mounted to a plate attached to the side of the
carriage.

Eventually, I'll get some photos taken.

Cheers,

Peter Homann
mailto:Peter.Homann@...
Adacel Technologies Limited,
250 Bay St, BRIGHTON, 3186, AUSTRALIA
http://www.adacel.com <http://www.adacel.com>
Telephone +61 (3) 8530 7777, Facsimile +61 (3) 9596 2960
Mobile 0421-601 665