CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lead screws - made more accurate

Posted by Les Watts
on 2003-05-16 04:19:20 UTC
Hi Doug

A web page on the cam correction of leadscrew pitch is still up...
follow the cnc links on the engineering page.

I used this primarily to match a pair of gear syncronized tandem screws.
Software correction is certainly easier for single screws if the controller
has that functionality.

The method is by no means new, but it can pretty much correct screw
pitch errors to any desired accuracy as long as the system is backlash free.
It was used to create some of the first truly accurate screw-cutting lathes
early in the industrial revolution around 1820 or so.

Les

Leslie Watts
L M Watts Furniture
Tiger, Georgia USA