CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Heat sink for stepper motor

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2003-05-16 17:09:50 UTC
In a message dated 5/16/2003 6:34:07 PM Central Standard Time,
fortino_tan@... writes:

> Would adding heatsink plus fan to stepper motor prolong its lifetime/
> performance ? Has anyone use heatsink to cool the running steppers?

First question: Surely, particularly where "rated current" is maintained for
the higher speeds for extended periods.

Second question: I don't know about the LATEST Bridgeports, nor can I tell
you the "model number" of the ones I saw in use in a friend's job-shop (he
had like seven?) but "earlier" Bridgeports had Size-42 Superior Electric
steppers which had "custom" cast-iron shells with RIBS running parallel to
the shaft. Looked like a horrible club-head. Those almost-certainly cost BP
three or four times as much, even in their OEM quantities, than "catalog"
steppers of same electrical specs!

fortino 2003-05-16 16:30:53 UTC Heat sink for stepper motor JanRwl@A... 2003-05-16 17:09:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Heat sink for stepper motor