CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] axis names ?

Robert Campbell wrote:

>Dave,
>
>I believe it is the W axis.

The W axis is a linear axis that is parallel to the Z axis. The knee
movement
on a Bridgeport-style machine would be a W axis, if the quill was the Z.
UVW are secondary linear axes that are parallel to the XYZ, respectively.
Rotary axes parallel to XYZ are the ABC axes. I suppose the quill of a
second spindle that can be moved independently would also qualify as a
W, but it is a special case. I sure wouldn't want to have to program any
sort of job where two spindles were working independently on different
parts of the same workpiece! Yikes. I suppose a machine with 2 independent
spindles could be used in place of a tool changer on jobs that only needed
2 tools, or to allow the operator to change one tool while the other works.
(Sounds kind of dangerous, though.)

turbulatordude 2003-05-18 18:16:12 UTC axis names ? Robert Campbell 2003-05-18 18:24:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] axis names ? Jon Elson 2003-05-18 22:12:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] axis names ?