CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath..

Posted by CL
on 2003-05-18 20:17:36 UTC
Tim Goldstein wrote:

>John,
>
>I get the serious feeling that you do not understand how Vector works or
>what it does. You do not draw the toolpaths in Vector either. You just
>draw the outline and then select pocket and set the parameters. The
>toolpaths are generated automatically. Pretty high tech and advanced.

John seems to get jumped on by at least one guy, everytime he says
something about Dolphins features. Golly, dare anyone ever indicate that
a program might be pretty good at something ? He said something like:
"It is even easier in Dolphin"..... Maybe it is !

Don't get me wrong, but this is a CAD group too. I wish more and more
and MORE discussion were in here on CAD itself. It could make people
more aware on how some work and some do not. ( and maybe make it
possible to spend hard earned cash on something that you can be totally
happy with) I've got my gripes with Programs too..... We need to voice
them so things >>>>>change. Vector is a great program, but there are
areas where things could be a little easier.

Sure, your right on the Vector "pocket" situations....... But I think
John clearly knows ( as do I ) that that in this day and age, Vector
should be smart enough to automatically handle a "Contour" ! You have
to DRAW that rascal (or offset it from somewhere else), THEN
"contour".... Took me a while to get used to that after using the other
more expensive stuff for years.

It wasn't like issues like that were not made known to anyone. I was
confused with the decisions to offer the "nurbs" thing as the next
option. I say Hey ! Why not finish these little things first ?

Worse, I'm missing a few little buttons that, gee, >should< be pretty
simple to install. Buttons like View "Previous", Like "Offset". (The
only Button for "Offset" is on the CAM menu, and that says "create
offset geometry" ! I thought it was a CAM menu, not the CAD menu !),
Buttons to jump from one 3d view to another without popping open 3 menus
to get there!

The worst part is, there seems to be missing plenty of Keyboard
shortcuts to get to most of these too. THAT puts a big kabosh on using
my favorite 3rd party macro programs get to them.

It is the little things that never get fixed that keep me from spending
more time in any program, as I look on the horizon for one that may be
more to my liking.

This is not a Bash against Vector by any means. I have it, I use it, and
it was worth every dime. But, I'm not parting with "nurbs money" until I
get some buttons I can use.

Please bring on a toolbar that makes sense. At least make sure EVERY
command can be called with SOME keyboard combination even if it has to
be Ctrl-A,R,F-12,Alt-G/B ! My macros could care less !

The MTB is great, but it isn't a replacement for good toolbars.

(I'm not even going to mention Feedrate handling improvements that could
be done)

Waiting for the next great release before I figure out my next Cad/Cam
move (and there will be one),

Chris L

Discussion Thread

Jens Swales 2003-05-18 11:56:07 UTC creating toolpath.. Tim Goldstein 2003-05-18 12:21:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] creating toolpath.. stevenson_engineers 2003-05-18 12:39:04 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. Fred Smith 2003-05-18 14:10:02 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. Tim Goldstein 2003-05-18 14:14:40 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. Indy123456 2003-05-18 14:46:45 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. Mark Thomas 2003-05-18 15:11:49 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. stevenson_engineers 2003-05-18 16:03:35 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. CL 2003-05-18 19:26:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. Tim Goldstein 2003-05-18 19:32:41 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. CL 2003-05-18 20:17:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: creating toolpath.. stevenson_engineers 2003-05-19 01:31:02 UTC Re: creating toolpath.. rainnea 2003-05-19 02:02:46 UTC Re: creating toolpath..